Here’s what’s happening this week at HBPres
Tuesday, April 22, 2014
- 9:30 AM Staff Meeting 206
- 6:00 PM Twigs Meeting 206
- 6:30 PM Support Committee 208
- 7:30 PM Boy Scouts Loft
- 8:35 PM Boy Scout Gym Time Emory Hall
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
- 5:15 PM Stephen Ministers Meeting C27
- 5:30 PM Wednesday Night Dinner Emory Hall
- 6:00 PM Made for Kids B4, B11
- 6:00 PM Wed. Night Youth Group Loft
- 6:30 PM Get Organized Living Rm.
- 6:30 PM Bookanalia 209
- 6:30 PM Contemporary Worship Rehearsal Chapel
- 6:30 PM Handbells Rehearsal Sanctuary
- 7:30 PM Chancel Choir Rehearsal Choir Rm.
- 7:30 PM Made for Kids Dismissal Loft
Thursday, April 24, 2014
- 2:00 PM Spring Tea Eline Hall
- 6:30 PM Men’s Thursday Fellowship Eline Hall
- 6:30 PM Marketing Team Living Rm
Friday, April 25, 2014
- 6:30 PM Family Square Dance Emory Hall
- 8:30 PM Youth 30 Hr. Famine & Lock-In Emory Hall
Saturday, April 26, 2014
- 8:00 AM Youth Lock-In Ends
- 9:00 AM Eastern Cemetery Clean-Up
Sunday, April 27, 2014
- 8:00 AM Chapel Singers Reahearsal Chapel
- 8:30 AM Worship Chapel
- 9:00 AM Orchestra Rehearsal Sanctuary
- 9:30 AM Breakfast Eline
- 9:45 AM Mariners C26
- 9:45 AM Issues Class Session Rm.
- 9:45 AM Searching for the Holy Spirit 206
- 9:45 AM Tim Cargal HBU Class C27
- 9:45 AM Bill Williamson HBU Class C28
- 9:45 AM Jubilee Story & Music Time 209
- 10:00 AM Sunday School for Children & Youth
- 10:00 AM Contemporary Worship Chapel
- 10:15 AM Chancel Choir Rehearsal Choir Rm
- 11:00 AM Worship Sanctuary.
- 11:00 AM Baptism Logan Lewis at 11:00 Worship
- 11:00 AM Installation of Elders & Deacons
- 12:00 PM Blood Pressure Check Living Rm.
- 5:00 PM Yoga with Betsy Session Rm.
- 6:00 PM Youth Fellowship Eline Hall
Please visit our Happenings Tab at the top for more information.
How secure do we really want to be? My wife called me from Chicago a few days ago. She is there to help with our daughter’s new baby. She is enjoying herself but her different location is causing issues. Needless to say, there is an acute concern these days with credit card theft and identity theft. She already had her identity stolen about a year ago. She recently paid a bill and inadvertently sent the payment with her old credit card number on it rather than the new number she had been issued after the identity theft. What a hassle!...read more
It was Sunday afternoon and my wife told me that someone from Cedar Lake Lodge was going to be coming for a clothing pick up on Monday. She asked if I had anything that I wanted to donate, so we both headed upstairs to check our closets. We found a number of items. Then I decided to check the closet in the study that only I use. Imagine my shock when I found four pair of what looked like new pants. I have lost some weight, so I decided to see if I could wear them. I was thrilled to discover that I could. Then I said, “But how did those...read more
I sat down on a Thursday morning a few weeks ago next to my bowl of cereal and morning paper. The headline read, “Food stamps cut 36 dollars a month, more cuts still being debated.” Thursday is one of my two mini-fast days. In order to lose some weight, I had been eating 600 calories two days of each week. I stayed on my regular diet the other days. I have now reached my goal and am simply trying to maintain my weight, so I still eat my 200-calorie breakfast four days a week. Odd isn’t it, to be reading about people not able to get...read more
I had to twist and turn one night recently trying to get to sleep. I was having trouble making the pain in my back go away. I have gotten to that wonderful age where you have to turn just a certain way to finally get comfortable enough to go to sleep. Age does have its woes, doesn’t it? But Saturday morning finally did come. I had a wedding rehearsal on Friday night that was filled with joy and excitement. I find particular delight in doing a wedding for someone I watched grow up in the church. I went for my walk early, rain was...read more
We are continuing our exploration of how stewardship relates to our mission statement of “making a difference by making disciples.” This week we will be exploring how, “Making a Difference Continues with Thanksgiving.” I am writing to give you a devotion to use throughout the week. Begin by reading the two scripture passages that we will expand upon on Sunday: Jeremiah 29:1, 4-15 and Luke 17: 11-19. Both of these passages involve people giving thanks. In Jeremiah the prophet tells the people to thrive while exiled into Babylon. On Sunday we...read more
Getting to Where We Belong Henri Nouwen writes, “We want be fully occupied, to know that because we are busy people something important is happening in our lives. And if we are not occupied then we are at least preoccupied—filled with concern about things that have not yet come about or have already come about. We fill our inner space with worry about things that might happen and guilt about things that have already happened. And beneath our worry and our guilt there is a deep fear of empty spaces. When we create empty space, we make...read more