Sunday School for All Ages!
Sunday school begins on Sunday, September 9!
HBPres offers classes for 2 year olds through adults. Sunday School is a ministry that seeks to meet the needs of the entire church family through food, fellowship, Bible study, music, small groups and classes. We have a new Schedule for the 2018-2019 school year:
8:45 a.m. Breakfast in Eline Hall
9:00 a.m. Sunday School Classes for All Ages
Children & Youth Sunday School
Childcare in the nursery for our youngest members
Together with Jesus class: 2-3 year olds- Room 107
- The class begins with toddlers and young preschoolers with their parents for story time. After the story, the children go to the childcare area and the parents move to Room 212 for class. Leaders – Cynthia Frentz and Marcia Lewis
Pre-K & K class– Room 208
- Curriculum – Growing in Grace and Gratitude, published by the PC(USA). Leaders – Katie Williams and childcare helper
1st – 4th Grades – Room 206
- Curriculum – Growing in Grace and Gratitude, published by the PC(USA). Leaders – Sara Sutphin, Jim Boswell, Leslie Koenig
5th – 7th Grades – Room C21
- Curriculum – Feasting on the Word, published by the PC(USA). Leaders – Jonathan Sutphin & TBD
Confirmation Class (8th – 10th grades)
- Curriculum – Big God, Big Questions, published by the PC(USA). Leader – Terry Hargrave
Grades 11 & 12 are encouraged to attend HBPres University or they can volunteer to help with the younger Sunday School classes.
Adult Sunday School 2018-2019
Much like college courses, the adult classes will be made up of 2 to 8 week sessions on given topics. Taught by several talented and gifted members of our own congregation, you will not want to miss a single class. We are sorry that you will have to choose between 2 classes that are offered at the same time but we would like all members & visitors to attend our classes so we have to appeal to a wide variety of interests.
Fall 2018 classes:
“Parenting Together Class” – Room 212
- Curriculum – various topics/books for discussions. Leaders – Tom and Cynthia Frentz and Bob Brown
Mariners – Room 216
- “Our Connectional Church” by Gradye Parsons (Sept/Oct). “Presbyterian leader Gradye Parsons takes the reader on a tour of the current Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). After reflecting on the importance of being nourished in a local congregation and being relevant witnesses in the community, he walks us through four churches, big and small, showing the types of ministry being done by Presbyterians today. He explores the risks being taken by congregations and reflects on the future of the denomination.”
- Isaiah, Part One, Holy, Holy, Holy, Kerygma Bible study (Nov/Dec)
HBUniversity – Session Room
September 9 – October 14: Scott Doelling
- “All Creatures Great and Small”
October 21 -November 25: Tim Cargal
- Given that the congregation is moving into the self-study phase of the pastoral interim, Tim Cargal will lead a study of Gradye Parson’s recent (and quite short) book, “Our Connectional Church: The Hopeful Future of the PC(USA).” Parson’s book looks at some statistics about the PC(USA) and his exploration of some congregations within the church. The study could spark conversations about how HBPres is like and unlike these sister congregations, and what might HBPres learn from them about ministering to its own context.
December 2 – December 16 or 23: Bill Williamson
- “Advent in Scripture and Song”