Making a Difference: A Closer Walk with God
Commitment Sunday- November 9, 2014
One service at 11:00 a.m. followed by
a potluck luncheon and music.
Here’s what’s happening this week at HBPres. Click on our Happenings tab for more information on these and upcoming events.
The Chapel is closed for repairs this Sunday, Nov. 2.
Some worship services will be relocated:
8:30 in Sanctuary
10:00 in the Living Room (2nd relocation)
11:00 in Sanctuary
Sunday, November 2, 2014
- 8:00 AM Chapel Singers Rehearsal Sanctuary
- 8:30 AM Worship Sanctuary
- 9:30 AM Breakfast Eline Hall
- 9:45 AM HBPres University Classes
- 9:45 AM Jubilee Sunday school Eline Hall
- 10:00 AM Contemporary Worship Living Room
- 10:15 AM Chancel Choir Rehearsal Sanctuary
- 11:00 AM Contemporary Worship Fellowship C28
- 11:00 AM Worship Sanctuary
- 12:00 PM Blood Pressure Checks Living Rm.
- 5:00 PM Yoga with Betsy Session Rm.
- 5:00 PM Youth Dinner Prep Eline Kitchen
- 6:00 PM Youth Fellowship: Dinner Eline Hall
- 6:30 PM Youth Fellowship: Recreation Emory Hall
- 7:00 PM Youth Fellowship: Bible Study Eline Hall/Youth Loft
Monday, October 27, 2014
- 9:30 AM Prayer Group Prayer Rm.
- 1:00 PM Men’s Book Forum 206
- 6:30 PM Nominating Committee Meeting 206
- 7:00 PM Louisville Philharmonia Rehearsal Sanctuary
- 7:00 PM Memorial Garden Committee 208
- Dartball- Cancelled
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
- 9:30 AM Staff Meeting 206
- 11:30 AM Ladies Book Talk C27
- 6:00 PM Board of Trustees 206
- 6:30 PM Boy Scout Court of Honor C28
- 7:30 PM Boy Scouts Loft
- 8:35 PM Boy Scout Gym Time Emory Hall
Wednesday, October 29, 2014
- 4:00 PM PW Coordinating Team Meeting 209
- 5:30 PM Wednesday Night Dinner Emory Hall
- 6:00 PM Youth Music Choir Rm.
- 6:00 PM Pre-k & K Music B11
- 6:00 PM 1st – 5th Grade Choir B4
- 6:30 PM Yoga with Betsy Session Rm.
- 6:30 PM Plant Based Support Group 212
- 6:30 PM 1st – 5th Grade Time with Adam B7, B11
- 6:30 PM Get Organized Living Rm.
- 6:30 PM Youth Youth Center
- 6:30 PM John Roper’s Bible Study 206
- 6:30 PM Contemporary Worship Rehearsal Chapel
- 6:30 PM Chancel Bells Rehearsal Sanctuary
- 6:35 PM Pre-k & K Crafts & Playtime Nursery
- 6:45 PM 1st – 5th Grade Orff/Hand Chimes B4, B22
- 7:30 PM Chancel Choir Rehearsal Choir Rm.
Thursday, October 30, 2014
- 10:00 AM Newsletter Folders 209
- 7:30 PM Louisville Philharmonia Concert Sanctuary
- 8:00 PM HBPres Volleyball Beargrass, HBPres vs. Families of Faith (Court B)
Friday, October 31, 2014
- No Events Scheduled
Saturday, November 1, 2014
- 9:00 AM HB Quilters 209
My daughter-in-law, Leslie, sent us an email the other day sharing what happened on our grandson Jordan’s second day of school. She said that only a few days earlier she had been lamenting all the paperwork involved in enrolling him in kindergarten. They live very near the school so she was walking him to school on his second day. She reported that he looked up at her with a big grin and said in a joyful voice, “I wonder what we get to do at school today?” I cannot speak for everyone but when out children were young, it occurred to me that...read more
The Good News about the bad news is that people say they go to church more than they really do, according to recent research. That’s right, people lie about how much they go to church. The other night Jimmy Fallon told a joke about a man who was arrested for stealing a Bible from a bookstore. When the man was arrested the police officer said, “Don’t you know the Bible says, ‘Thou shalt not steal?” and the man said, “Don’t give away the plot before I read the book!” Yes, friends, truth is stranger than fiction. But there is some good news...read more
How secure do we really want to be? My wife called me from Chicago a few days ago. She is there to help with our daughter’s new baby. She is enjoying herself but her different location is causing issues. Needless to say, there is an acute concern these days with credit card theft and identity theft. She already had her identity stolen about a year ago. She recently paid a bill and inadvertently sent the payment with her old credit card number on it rather than the new number she had been issued after the identity theft. What a hassle!...read more
It was Sunday afternoon and my wife told me that someone from Cedar Lake Lodge was going to be coming for a clothing pick up on Monday. She asked if I had anything that I wanted to donate, so we both headed upstairs to check our closets. We found a number of items. Then I decided to check the closet in the study that only I use. Imagine my shock when I found four pair of what looked like new pants. I have lost some weight, so I decided to see if I could wear them. I was thrilled to discover that I could. Then I said, “But how did those...read more
I sat down on a Thursday morning a few weeks ago next to my bowl of cereal and morning paper. The headline read, “Food stamps cut 36 dollars a month, more cuts still being debated.” Thursday is one of my two mini-fast days. In order to lose some weight, I had been eating 600 calories two days of each week. I stayed on my regular diet the other days. I have now reached my goal and am simply trying to maintain my weight, so I still eat my 200-calorie breakfast four days a week. Odd isn’t it, to be reading about people not able to get...read more
I had to twist and turn one night recently trying to get to sleep. I was having trouble making the pain in my back go away. I have gotten to that wonderful age where you have to turn just a certain way to finally get comfortable enough to go to sleep. Age does have its woes, doesn’t it? But Saturday morning finally did come. I had a wedding rehearsal on Friday night that was filled with joy and excitement. I find particular delight in doing a wedding for someone I watched grow up in the church. I went for my walk early, rain was...read more
We are continuing our exploration of how stewardship relates to our mission statement of “making a difference by making disciples.” This week we will be exploring how, “Making a Difference Continues with Thanksgiving.” I am writing to give you a devotion to use throughout the week. Begin by reading the two scripture passages that we will expand upon on Sunday: Jeremiah 29:1, 4-15 and Luke 17: 11-19. Both of these passages involve people giving thanks. In Jeremiah the prophet tells the people to thrive while exiled into Babylon. On Sunday we...read more
Getting to Where We Belong Henri Nouwen writes, “We want be fully occupied, to know that because we are busy people something important is happening in our lives. And if we are not occupied then we are at least preoccupied—filled with concern about things that have not yet come about or have already come about. We fill our inner space with worry about things that might happen and guilt about things that have already happened. And beneath our worry and our guilt there is a deep fear of empty spaces. When we create empty space, we make...read more